My blogger friends are sending around a “Meme” that asks you to post what’s on your desk. At the office I work in a cubicle with a wraparound desk and overhead bins that close and hide the mess. Here’s what’s actually out on the desktop and my little cubbie’s bulletin board:
- my laptop and docking station
- a cheap personal laser printer (for quick printing rather than going to the company network printer)
- a little desk lamp that I brought from home to soften the flourescent lighting
- my company phone
- a docking station for my cell phone
- four in and out trays
- a Big Dogs coffee mug to hold my pens, scissors, highlighters, etc.
- this year’s Predators team calendar
- photoframe with snapshot of my buddies and me at my Hooter’s birthday party a couple years ago
- a map of the U.S. divided into our company’s sales regions
- printout of the company phone directory
- a stack of business magazines
Kinda boring desktop, isn’t it? I have a policy of not keeping any personal stuff on my desk except maybe one or two photos. After the last job when I got fired and escorted to the door for being ethical and not doctoring the numbers on the sales reports that my boss demanded, I want to be able to leave with just one box of my personal belongings in a box and be gone with just one trip out the door to my car.
So, come on and tell me what’s on your desk and send me the link to your blog so I can read it!